Jun 03, 2023  
Catalog/Handbook 2018-2019 
Catalog/Handbook 2018-2019 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Grades are recorded on the student’s permanent record in the Registrar’s Office and are issued in the form of a transcript upon request for $5.00 per transcript. Term grades are available online through the College’s PASSPORT portal at no charge.

Final grades are based on any or all of the following: course assignments, special reports, quiz grades, research papers, course participation, laboratory assignments, field work, and final examinations. Specific grading polices and course requirements are provided by the professor at the beginning of each course. Students who believe the final grade posted is in error should contact the professor to discuss a possible grade change. Any complaint involving a grade appeal must be filed on or before 30 calendar days after the start of the next major term. Grades and grade-point values are listed below:

A - Superior

4 Grade Points

B - Above Average

3 Grade Points

C - Satisfactory

2 Grade Points

D - Below Average

1 Grade Point

F - Fail

0 Grade Points

I - Incomplete

0 Grade Points

S - Satisfactory

0 Grade Points

U - Unsatisfactory

0 Grade Points
           W - Withdrawal

0 Grade Points

X - Audit

0 Grade Points

P - Passed

0 Grade Points


Incomplete Grades

If a student cannot complete course requirements by the end of the term due to extenuating circumstances as verified by the faculty member, the instructor may, at his or her discretion, assign a grade of I, provided this occurs after the withdrawal date. The withdrawal date is set at approximately 70% of the length of the term. If the extenuating circumstances occur prior to the withdrawal date, the student should withdraw from the course. The grade of I is calculated as an F in Standards of Academic Progress  . Once the final grade is submitted, the Standards of Academic Progress are recalculated. A grade of I could impact eligibility for financial aid.

By assigning a grade of I, the professor indicates that the student has the potential to earn a passing grade by satisfactorily completing the unfinished course work within a reasonable amount of time as agreed to by both student and instructor but no later than by the end of the next term. If the student fails to meet the objectives by the conclusion of the following term, the I converts to an F grade.

Students who have applied for graduation in a given term must complete all required course work before graduation is posted to the academic record. An incomplete grade in a course needed for graduation would prohibit the posting of graduation.


Grade Forgiveness

Polk State College’s Grade Forgiveness Policy allows students to repeat only those courses in which they earn a grade of D, F, or W. Students are allowed only three attempts in any one course: one initial enrollment and two repeats. The third attempt at a course is charged at a cost equal to the full cost of instruction. Although all course attempts appear on the transcript, only the grade earned in the most recent attempt is calculated in the cumulative GPA. Students are not allowed to withdraw from the third course attempt and receive a grade. Before repeating a course, students should consult the Financial Aid Office to determine what impact, if any, repeating a course has on financial aid status.

NOTE: Other institutions to which students eventually may transfer do not necessarily have the same grade forgiveness policy as Polk State College. These schools may recalculate student GPAs or reassess eligibility for financial aid and admission.