Catalog/Handbook 2013-14 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
The Polk State College Catalog / Student Handbook contains detailed information about admission requirements, academic programs and policies, course descriptions, financial aid, special services and programs, extracurricular activities, and related policies and procedures for students.
If students have specific questions or need further information, they should contact an academic advisor in Student Services on either the Lakeland or Winter Haven campus, or the Airside-Lakeland or JD Alexander/Lake Wales Center.
Polk State College is part of the Florida College System and awards Bachelor degrees, Associate degrees, Advanced Technical certificates; Credit and Vocational certificates; and Applied Technology diplomas. Polk State College is governed by the District Board of Trustees.
The information published in this catalog reflects the District Board of Trustees’ rules and administrative regulations in effect at the time of publication in a user-friendly format. The official and binding rules and procedures are published on the College website. Polk State College reserves the right to make changes in regulations, course offerings, curriculum, academic policies, and rules and other aspects affecting students. Information about any changes to rules and regulations is available in the Student Services offices. This catalog is updated throughout the year for omissions and errors only.
Polk State College
999 Avenue H, N.E.
Winter Haven, Florida 33881-4299
Polk State College is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award Associate's degrees and Bachelor's degrees. Individuals may contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Polk State College. The Commission is to be contacted only if there is evidence of an institution's significant non-compliance with a requirement or standard.
Polk State College programs are also accredited by:
- The Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) 1361 Park Street, Clearwater, FL 33756; 727-210-2350
- The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN), formerly National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC), 3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326; 404-975-5000
- The Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE) 1111 North Fairfax Street, Alexandria, VA 22314-1488; 703-706-3245
- The Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the Emergency Medical Services Professions (CoAEMSP) 4101 W. Green Oaks Blvd. Suite 305-599, Arlington, TX 76016; 817-330-0080
- The Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE), 4720 Montgomery Lane, PO Box 31220, Bethesda, MD 20824-1220; 301-652-2682
- The Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology (JRCERT), 20 N. Wacker Dr. Suite 2850, Chicago, IL. 60606-3182; 312-704-5300
- The Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM), 233 N. Michigan Avenue, 21st Floor, Chicago, IL 60601-5800; 312-233-1100
- The Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc., (CALEA®) Public Safety Training Academy Accreditation, 13575 Heathcote Blvd., Ste. 320, Gainesville, VA 20155; 703-352-4225
- The Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC), 1248 Harwood Road, Bedford, TX, 76021-4244; 817-283-2835
- The Joint Review Committee on Education in Cardiovascular Technology (JRC-CVT), 22 Railroad Avenue Suite 3, Beverly, MA 01915-4917; 978-456-5594