Jun 19, 2024  
Catalog/Handbook 2013-14 
Catalog/Handbook 2013-14 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Credit for Armed Services Training

In recognition of the advanced academic and technical content of many military educational experiences, Polk State College may grant appropriate credits for military educational experiences that are evaluated by the American Council of Education (ACE) as suitable for postsecondary credit. It is at the discretion of Polk State College to award this credit; recommendations in the ACE Guide are advisory only and not binding on the College. Credit is granted in those areas that are appropriate for a Polk State College degree or certification. The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services serves as the basis for acceptance of such training and the awarding of college credit.

  • When applying for admission, degree-seeking students can initiate the request for credit by providing appropriate supporting documents.
  • All required documents must be submitted with the DD214, if separating from the military, or with the DD295, if a current member of the armed services. One of these two documents is required.
  • Documents should be mailed to:

Admission and Registrar’s Office
Polk State College
999 Avenue H NE
Winter Haven, FL 33881

  • All requests for military credit awards should be made in the student’s first semester of attendance with Polk State College (but no later than the Drop/Add deadline of the graduating term).
  • Once evaluation is completed, students are able to view results on the degree audit in the student’s account in PASSPORT.

The DD214 for veterans or DD295 for active duty military personnel should be submitted to obtain credit for the course HLP1081 Wellness Concepts and HSC2400 First Aid and Injuries. All other credit requests require an official transcript from the registry associated with the student’s branch of service as follows: 

  • Active Duty military personnel should submit a certified copy of the Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences during Military Service, Form DD295, as well as certified copies of any course completion certificates. The Admission and Registrar’s Office photocopies the original document if presented in person.
  • Army, Marine Corps, and Navy veterans should request that a Joint Services Transcript (JST) be mailed directly to Polk State College. This new JST transcript has replaced the AARTS and SMART transcripts as of March 20, 2013. The Coast Guard will also be transitioning over to this new collaborative transcript program in the future. Prospective students may request a Joint Services Transcript online at https://jst.doded.mil. Each request must include the veteran’s name, basic service dates, Social Security number, and current mailing address. For further information, students can email: jst@doded.mil.
  • Air Force veterans may request that a Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript be mailed directly to Polk State College. Prospective students may request a transcript by writing directly to: CCAF, 100 South Turner Blvd., Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, AL 36114. Requests may also be made online at www.au.af.mil. All requests must include the student’s full name, Social Security Number, date of birth, and the address where transcripts are to be sent. For further information students may call 334-953-7848.
  • Coast Guard veterans should request a transcript online via their SMART accounts until the transition is completed to the new Joint Services Transcript program. The Naval Education and Technical Center is no longer accepting paper requests. For more information students should contact ncc@cnet.navy.mil or call 877-838-1659.
  • Note: Polk State College participates in electronic transcript exchange with the military.