Jul 14, 2024  
Catalog/Handbook 2019-2020 
Catalog/Handbook 2019-2020 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Credit for Armed Services Training

In recognition of the advanced academic and technical content of many military educational experiences, Polk State College may grant appropriate credits for military educational experiences that are evaluated by the American Council of Education (ACE) as suitable for postsecondary credit. This is in compliance with Florida Statutes 1004.0961 and Rule 6A-14.0304.

It is at the discretion of Polk State College to award this credit; recommendations in the ACE Guide are advisory only and not binding on the College. Credit is granted in those areas that are appropriate for a Polk State College degree or certification. The Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services serves as the basis for acceptance of such training and the awarding of college credit. Polk State makes every effort to maximize the student’s documented military educational experiences and transfer in credits to benefit the student’s academic pursuit.

  • When applying for admission, s degree-seeking student can initiate the request for credit by providing appropriate supporting documents, usually in the form of a transcript.
  • All required documents must be submitted with the DD214 Form (if separating from the military), or with the DD295 FOrm (if a current member of the armed services). One of these two documents is required.
  • Documents should be mailed to:

Admission and Registrar’s Office
Polk State College
999 Avenue H, N.E.
Winter Haven, FL 33881

  • All requests for military credit awards should be made in the student’s first semester of attendance with Polk State College (but no later than the Drop deadline of the graduating term).
  • Once evaluation is completed, the student is able to view results on the degree audit in the student’s account in PASSPORT.


The DD214 Form (for veterans) or DD295 Form (for active duty military personnel) should be submitted to obtain credit for the Wellness Concepts (HLP 1081) course and First Aid and Injuries (HSC 2400) course. All other credit requests require an official transcript from the registry associated with the student’s branch of service as follows:

  • Active Duty military personnel should submit a certified copy of the Application for the Evaluation of Learning Experiences during Military Service, Form DD295, as well as certified copies of any course completion certificates. 
  • Army, Marine Corps, and Navy veterans should request that a Joint Services Transcript (JST) be mailed directly to Polk State College. The JST transcript replaced the AARTS and SMART transcripts as of March 20, 2013. The Coast Guard will also be transitioning over to this collaborative transcript program in the future. Prospective students may request a Joint Services Transcript online at https://jst.doded.mil. Each request must include the veteran’s name, basic service dates, Social Security number, and current mailing address. For further information, students can email: jst@doded.mil.
  • Air Force veterans may request that a Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript be mailed directly to Polk State College. Prospective students may request a transcript by writing directly to: CCAF, 100 South Turner Blvd., Maxwell AFB-Gunter Annex, AL 36114. Requests may also be made online at www.au.af.mil. All requests must include the student’s full name, Social Security number, date of birth, and the address where transcripts are to be sent. For further information students may call 334.953.7848.
  • Coast Guard veterans should request a transcript online via their SMART accounts until the transition is completed to the new Joint Services Transcript program. The Naval Education and Technical Center is no longer accepting paper requests. For more information, students should contact ncc@cnet.navy.mil or call 877.838.1659.

Note: Polk State College participates in electronic transcript exchange with the military.