Jul 14, 2024  
Catalog/Handbook 2019-2020 
Catalog/Handbook 2019-2020 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


Grades are recorded on the student’s permanent record in the Registrar’s Office and are issued in the form of a transcript upon request. The cost is $5.00 per transcript. Term grades are available online through the College’s PASSPORT portal at no charge.

Final grades are based on any or all of the following: course assignments, special reports, quiz grades, research papers, course participation, laboratory assignments, field work, and final examinations. Specific grading polices and course requirements are provided by the professor at the beginning of each course. A student who believes the final grade posted is erroneous should contact the professor to discuss a possible grade change. Any complaint involving a grade appeal must be filed on or before 30 calendar days after the start of the next major term. Grades and grade-point values are listed below:

A - Superior

4 Grade Points

B - Above Average

3 Grade Points

C - Satisfactory

2 Grade Points

D - Below Average

1 Grade Point

F - Fail

0 Grade Points

I - Incomplete

0 Grade Points

S - Satisfactory

0 Grade Points

U - Unsatisfactory

0 Grade Points
           W - Withdrawal

0 Grade Points

X - Audit

0 Grade Points

P - Passed

0 Grade Points


Incomplete Grades

If a student cannot complete course requirements by the end of the term due to extenuating circumstances as verified by the faculty member, the instructor may, at his or her discretion, assign a grade of I-Incomplete, provided the extenuating circumstances occur after the withdrawal date. The withdrawal date is set at approximately 70% of the length of the term. If the extenuating circumstances occur prior to the withdrawal date, the student should withdraw from the course. The grade of I is calculated as an F in Standards of Academic Progress . Once the final grade is submitted, the Standards of Academic Progress is recalculated. The grade of I could impact eligibility for financial aid.

By assigning a grade of I, the professor indicates that the student has the potential to earn a passing grade by satisfactorily completing the unfinished course work within a reasonable amount of time. The time in which work ust be completed is agreed upon by both the student and instructor and it must extend no later than by the end of the next term. If the student fails to meet the objectives by the conclusion of the following term, the I grade converts to an F grade.

A student who has applied for graduation in a given term must complete all required course work before graduation is posted to the academic record. An I-incomplete grade in a course needed for graduation prohibits the posting of graduation to the official student record.


Grade Forgiveness

Polk State College’s Grade Forgiveness Policy allows a student to repeat only those courses with an earned grade of D, F, or W.  The student is allowed only three attempts in any one course: one initial enrollment and two repeats. The third attempt at a course is charged at a cost equal to the full cost of instruction. Although all course attempts appear on the transcript, only the grade earned in the most recent attempt is calculated in the cumulative GPA. A student is not allowed to withdraw from the third course attempt and receive a grade. Before repeating a course, a student should consult the Financial Aid Office to determine what impact, if any, repeating a course can have on his or her financial aid status.

Note: Other institutions to which the student may eventually transfer do not necessarily have the same grade forgiveness policy as Polk State College. These schools may recalculate the student’s GPAs or reassess eligibility for financial aid and admission.