Apr 15, 2024  
Catalog/Handbook 2013-14 
Catalog/Handbook 2013-14 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer of Credit to Polk State College

Polk State College accepts college credit earned at other institutions as transfer credit if the institution is regionally accredited, or the institution is accredited by an accrediting body approved by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in accordance with specific guidelines:

  • Award Policies:
    • Credit is awarded provided the credit earned is in an appropriate area, is at an appropriate level, and if a grade of D or higher has been achieved as long as D is a passing grade.
    • Credits earned at Polk State College are based on semester hours; therefore, all transfer work is converted to equivalent semester hours.
    • All transfer credits contribute to the cumulative GPA of the student’s Polk State College record.
    • Credits at the upper-division college level are not generally accepted for transfer for associate degree programs. Upper-division courses are accepted for transfer toward baccalaureate degrees and associate degrees only if the courses meet a specific lower-division requirement.
  • Credits earned at regionally-accredited institutions and non-public accredited institutions participating in the Florida Statewide Course Numbering System (SCNS) for which there are comparable courses or requirements at Polk State College are posted to the student’s academic record. When appropriate, this credit is applied toward degree requirements or electives. In some cases, however, it is recorded as credit earned in excess of degree requirements.
  • Developmental Courses in English, reading and math are only transferred from state institutions.  Out-of-state or private college developmental credit does not qualify for transfer. Students who transfer without a college-level English or math course must take the placement exam unless otherwise exempt.
  • Polk State College accepts transfer credit from other institutions if the institution’s accrediting body is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA), and if the school and each course meet the evaluation rigors followed by Polk State College. Requests for evaluation must be initiated by the student 12 weeks prior to the beginning of the term (but no later than the Drop/Add deadline of the graduating term). Students play an active role in collecting required data for evaluation. Credits are given based on the Award Policies listed above.
  • Transcripts from international institutions, including those in the English language, require an official evaluation (at the expense of the student) from an external agency recommended by Polk State College. Students may find qualified agencies at: www.naces.org. Polk State accepts many international high school transcripts without an agency evaluation. To determine if yours qualifies, submit an official high school transcript to the Admission and Registrar’s Office.

Polk State College recognizes that valid learning can take place in non-traditional and non-collegiate environments. The College generally follows the credit-granting recommendations of the American Council of Education (ACE) but reserves the right to exercise its own judgment. Polk State College maintains articulation for credit based on various credentialing, certifications, and licensure in addition to state-mandated agreements. For more information on non-traditional credit awards, students should contact the Admission and Registrar’s Office at 863-297-1000 to speak to a transcript evaluator. For information on prior learning assessment, students should contact the District Dean of Academics and Student Services at 863-292-3645.